Join Our Team
For this inaugural position, we are seeking a passionate, dynamic, and skilled communicator to lead strategy and implementation to take our communications and marketing to the next level. Both an internal and public-facing role, you should be enthusiastic about growing along with the organization while having major impact in Portland. We believe in taking risks and will give you the chance to do so as well. If you to want do some of your best—and most meaningful—work in a flexible and exciting environment, we want to meet you.
As an active member of the leadership team, you will craft, innovate, and ensure a unified voice for Portland Playhouse both on stage and in the community. You will have the opportunity to lead and implement the communications and marketing plan including but not limited to print and digital media, marketing partnerships, media relations, ticket sales promotions, and community partnerships. You will serve as both a leader and ambassador to advance our mission with relevant partners, as well as drive broader awareness and support for the goal of creating a world awakened by the wonder of theatre through the following core functions:
- Develop and implement integrated strategies and tools that will deepen the Portland community’s knowledge of and investment in our mission, and broaden awareness and visibility of Playhouse performances, middle- and high-school education programs, and overall impact
- Work closely with the Artistic Director to translate strategic goals and aspirations into a clear, coherent narrative that cultivates engagement and support among staff, partners, media, neighbors, Board members, legislators, and volunteers
- Implement concrete strategies and procedures to hit revenue goals
- Create strategies that will align you and Playhouse leadership to strengthen relationships with key audiences, media, and community partners
- Direct integrated print and digital campaigns for annual season rollout and each play
- Work to quickly recognize internal and external communications opportunities, challenges and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Work with Managing Director to set marketing budget
- Manage creative teams that may include graphic designers, photographers, staff, volunteers and/or other contractors depending on project
Qualifications and Characteristics
- 3+ years working in communications and/or marketing (or comparable cumulative experience)
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (or equivalent combination of experience)
- Entrepreneurial, positive attitude, creative, strong work ethic, flexible, and resourceful
- Possess and maintain a working knowledge of Portland’s racial demographics and the impact of gentrification on Portland Playhouse’s marketing strategy
- Demonstrated ability and desire to build authentic relationships with a diverse constituency in Portland
- Consistent track record of leading and prioritizing concurrent projects and tasks
- Ability to set goals then manage and implement projects efficiently to meet deadlines
- Self-motivated, self-starter who can thrive and have fun in a busy theatre and small-shop environment
- Passion to make a difference through your efforts
Portland Playhouse deeply values inclusion and workplace diversity. We strongly encourage people with diverse backgrounds, particularly from communities of color and historically underrepresented groups, whose professional and personal experiences advance our vision to apply. We support equal employment opportunities for all classes of individuals, regardless of age, race, color, national origin, citizenship status, disability, religious creed, sex, gender identitiy or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, economic status, veteran status.
Status: Full-time, salaried, exempt
Report to: Artistic Director
We provide an industry-competitive compensation package ($40,000-48,000 DOE) along with full health, vision, and dental benefits, holidays plus three weeks of paid time off. We believe in work-life integration and offer a flexible work environment. These benefits, coupled with an amazing team of individuals who believe in our mission and value openness, collaboration, and teamwork, make Portland Playhouse an incredible place to work.
To apply, please email .PDF versions of your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the name of the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your email. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Please know that applications received after July 11, 2016 may not be reviewed.