- Make our historic building and outdoor space shine as a King Neighborhood gem serving audiences, artists and our community
- Transform the experience of our artists, audiences and staff with professional dressing rooms, restrooms, offices and lobby/gathering space
- Rejuvenate the property’s exterior to excite community pride, encourage connection with a diverse constituency and celebrate the history of our neighborhood
- Create a flexible and covered outdoor space/studio space to rehearse, perform, build sets and host Playhouse and community events
Benefits for Our Audience and Community
- High quality performances from artists eager to engage with a dynamic and supportive audience and work in a historic, beautiful and well-maintained space
- Increase neighborhood pride via a celebration of the unique history and culture of the King Neighborhood
- Increased availability as a gathering space for our own functions and those of our community partners, neighbors and fellow artists
We estimate the Restoration/Renovation will cost $2,000,000.
We will renovate the lower level; paint and repair exterior siding; install a new roof and signage; complete landscaping; build a new building (production shop and a studio space); and purchase and install new technical equipment.
Why Portland Playhouse, Why Now?
Since our founding nine years ago, Portland Playhouse has become an integral part of our community, performing the work of culturally diverse playwrights including August Wilson, Idris Goodwin, Theresa Rebeck, Mia Chung, and Terell Alvin McCraney. During that time our audience has grown from 850 to 10,000. Playhouse productions have earned 27 awards and Portland Monthly named it the “City’s Best Theatre.” Last year our outreach and educational programs reached more than 3,000 people including 500 student participants.
A safe and beautiful building will keep artists and audience coming back again and again. We want people to say, “What a great play, and what a BEAUTIFUL BUILDING. I can’t wait to see what they do next!”